No doubt, tinnitus can be debilitating. You may hear your heart beating right in your ear, have a constant ringing noise bothering you, or find yourself hearing other annoying sounds – all the time. So now it’s time – answer the bell: how to win the battle against tinnitus.
When you present to your physician with tinnitus symptoms, she/he will carry out a variety of tests. Apart from a hearing examination, the physician may also carry out a movement test to see if this is a factor in your tinnitus. In some instances, the doctor may also send you for an MRI or CT scan.
As tinnitus has different causes, seeking medical advice is essential.
Answer the Bell: How to Win the Battle against Tinnitus
Once your doctor has established that you suffer from tinnitus, the underlying cause will take center stage. After identifying it, your physician may do one of the following:
- Instruct You to Change Your Medication: If medication is causing it, your doctor may recommend reducing the amount or change to a different type.
- Removing Earwax: Some sufferers experience significant relief after the doctor has removed excess earwax.
- Blood Vessel Treatment: Vascular conditions may be the cause. As a result, your doctor may recommend surgery or prescribe suitable medication.
Most Common Treatments
Apart from the above, the following treatments can help you to cope:
- White Noise Machines: White noise machines cover the tinnitus sounds and provide relief.
- Hearing Aids: Recommended if you also suffer from hearing loss.
- Medication: Some physicians prescribe medication. However, some of the drugs produce significant side effects.
- Complementary Medicine Treatments: Some sufferers have experienced relief after treatments including acupuncture and nutritional therapy.
If you are thinking – answer the bell: how to win the battle against tinnitus – you may also like to try reducing your stress levels, avoiding irritants, masking the noise, and reducing your alcohol consumption.